Common U-Joint Problems For The Ford F-150
The Ford F-150 is a popular truck that has seen its share of u-joint issues over the years. You can attribute many of these u-joint problems to improper maintenance or heavy loads. Like any vehicle, the Ford F-150 needs maintenance from time to time. If it isn’t done on schedule, some parts will fail (like the water pumps in this blog post).
In this guide, we’ll discuss the most common u-joint issues for Ford F-150 trucks. We’ll cover the following points:
- The most common symptoms of u-joint failure in Ford F-150 trucks
- Useful diagnostic and repair tips
- Recommended replacement u-joints for F-150 trucks
- The most common reasons u-joints fail on F-150 trucks
Ford F-150 U-Joint Failure Symptoms
- The u-joint making a squeaking noise when the truck’s traveling at low speeds (under 10 mph)
- The u-joint making a clunking/ringing noise when you shift the transmission from drive to reverse
- Vibration felt throughout the truck when it’s driving on the road
- Transmission or differential fluid leaks
- The u-joint making a banging noise
U-Joint Diagnosis And Repair Tips
If a customer brings in an F-150 with a bad u-joint, your technicians should know what to do. That means being able to recognize a bad u-joint and knowing how to replace it on an F-150 truck. Here are some tips that may help:
- Even if your techs suspect just one bad u-joint on an F-150, they should check all the u-joints anyway.
- When diagnosing a bad u-joint, it’s important to find out why the u-joint failed, too. That way, your techs can fix the issue to prevent any more u-joint failures in the near future. We have a blog post about how to explain u-joint failure to your customers.
- When in doubt, replace it. That means if your techs aren’t sure whether a u-joint has some life left or if it’s completely failed, err on the side of caution and replace it anyway. We have a blog post that explains why this is always a good decision.
Recommended Replacement U-Joints For F-150 Trucks
Finding ways to reduce comebacks is a good way to maintain a good reputation for your shop. One of the best ways to reduce comebacks is to use high quality replacement parts. GMB is a leading brand for u-joints. At GMB, we produce OE-quality u-joints that are built to last.
We have a large selection of GMB u-joints for Ford F-150 trucks. Here’s a list of recommended u-joints.
- 1998-2003 Ford F-150: GMB u-joint #210-0178
- 2000-2012 Ford F-150: GMB u-joint #210-0447
- 2014 Ford F-150: GMB u-joint #215-0160
- 2015 Ford F-150: GMB u-joint #215-0178
For more GMB F-150 u-joints, visit our catalog and do a search here.
The Most Common Reasons Ford F-150 Trucks Have U-Joint Issues
The F-150 is a popular truck that gets put through the ringer. Here are a few of the most common reasons why F-150 trucks have u-joint failures:
- Hauling heavy loads
- Towing heavy loads
- Improper maintenance (not replacing u-joints or other drivetrain parts when necessary)
- Steep operating angles due to lifts
- Wear and tear over time
Sign up here to get the latest news
and updates on all things GMB.